- 1999: Dr. phil. (Ph.D.), University of Göttingen, Germany (summa cum laude), supported with a fellowship from the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes)
Positions held since Ph.D.
- Faculty Affiliate (Executive Committee member), Language Sciences, UW-Madison
- since 2011: Professor, Department of English
- 2006-2011: Associate Professor, Department of English
- 2003: Visiting Professor, University of Gießen (Germany), Department of English
- 2000-2005: Assistant Professor, Department of English
Service and leadership in higher education
- Chair, Department of English (2019-)
- Provost Fellow (2019-2020): Participated in weekly meetings of Provost Executive Group to learn about university-wide initiatives, setting of priorities, and crisis management. Worked with Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs to promote formalization of faculty mentorship initiative.
- Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities (2019-): Review committee for non-renewal decisions and allegations of faculty misconduct
- Chair, Provost Search and Screen Committee (2019)
- Fellow, Big Ten Alliance Academic Leadership Program (2018-19): Yearlong professional development program to learn about the organization of large research universities, the attributes of effective leadership, and the challenges of higher education
- University Committee (2015-2018, chair 2017-18): Executive Committee of the UW-Madison Faculty Senate, advising university leadership on questions concerning educational interests or policies,
- Co-Chair, Higher Learning Commission Accreditation Advisory Group (2017-2019): Advising accreditation core team on sources of evidence for federal accreditation criteria from faculty perspective, also trained as peer reviewer for Higher Learning Commission
- Language Sciences Program Planning Committee (2014-2016): Planning reorganization of Linguistics Department and creation of “Language Sciences” program
- University Budget Model Development Committee (2014-15): Advising university leadership on developing a new, partly performance-based, budget allocation model
- Arts & Humanities Divisional Committee (2013-2016): Making recommendations to Dean on tenure and promotion
- Associate Chair, English Department (2011-2015): Overseeing curriculum and assignment of TAs, also Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate School Research Committee Arts & Humanities (2009-2011): Making decisions on intramural research awards (“summer support”, named professorships).
- (under contract with Cambridge University Press): Discourse Syntax: English Grammar beyond the Sentence
- Syntactic Variation and Genre (co-ed. with Heidrun Dorgeloh). Berlin/New York: De Gruyter Mouton (= Topics in English Linguistics 70). 2010.
- Deconstructing the English Passive. Berlin/New York: De Gruyter Mouton (= Topics in English Linguistics 41). 2009.
- Structural Aspects of Semantically Complex Verbs. (co-ed. with Nicole Dehé). Frankfurt/Bern/New York: Peter Lang. 2001.
- Verbklassifizierung und aspektuelle Alternationen im Englischen. Tübingen: Max Niemeyer (= Linguistische Arbeiten 398). 1999.
- Transitivity patterns exhibited by persons with dementia in conversation, co-authored with Trini Stickle. Applied Linguistics, amx001. doi: 10.1093/applin/amx001. 2017.
- Genre variation, co-authored with Heidrun Dorgeloh. In: Bas Aarts, Jillian Bowie, and Geri Popova (eds.): The Oxford Handbook of English Grammar. Oxford University Press. 2020.
- The get-passive at the intersection of get and the passive. In: Artemis Alexiadou and Florian Schaefer (eds.): Non-Canonical Passives. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 2013.
- Formulaic argumentation in scientific discourse, co-authored with Heidrun Dorgeloh. In: Roberta Corrigan, Edith A. Moravcsik, Hamid Ouli and Kathleen M. Wheatley (eds.): Formulaic Language. Volume 2: Acquisition, Loss, Psychological Reality, and Functional Explanations. (Typological Studies in Language 83.) pp. 523-544. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 2009.
- Comfort zones of orality: how participants override the structural characteristics of a discussion forum. In: Sally Magnan (ed.): Mediating Discourse Online. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. pp. 125-149. 2008.